Rabindranath Tagore_ QuotesRabindranath Tagore was a Bengali polymath who was a poet, musician, writer, and philosopher. He was born on May 7, 1861, in Calcutta, India, and his demise happened In 1913, he became the first non-European to be awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature. Tagore's literary works include poetry, short stories, novels, plays, and essays. His literary career spanned over sixty years, during which he produced an enormous body of work. Tagore's philosophy of life was deeply rooted in humanism and spirituality, and he was an ardent advocate of Indian nationalism. He was also a pioneer in the movement for women's rights in India. In addition to his literary and philosophical contributions, Rabindranath Tagore played an important role in the Indian independence movement. He was a close friend of Mahatma Gandhi, and his songs were widely used as an anthem in the movement. In India and other countries, his legacy is still honored.

“Most people believe the mind to be a mirror, more or less accurately reflecting the world outside them, not realizing on the contrary that the mind is itself the principal element of creation.”

― rabindranath tagore


Rabindranath Tagore


“I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy.”
― Rabindranath Tagore


Rabindranath Tagore


“It is very simple to be happy, but it is very difficult to be simple.”
― Rabindranath Tagore


Rabindranath Tagore


“The small wisdom is like water in a glass:
clear, transparent, pure.
The great wisdom is like the water in the sea:
dark, mysterious, impenetrable.”
― Rabindranath Tagore


Rabindranath Tagore


“Reach high, for stars lie hidden in you. Dream deep, for every dream precedes the goal.”
― Rabindranath Tagore

Rabindranath Tagore


“Love's gift cannot be given, it waits to be accepted.”
― Rabindranath Tagore


Rabindranath Tagore


“Don't limit a child to your own learning, for she was born in another time.”
― Rabindranath Tagore


Rabindranath Tagore


“I seem to have loved you in numberless forms, numberless times, in life after life, in age after age forever.”
― Rabindranath Tagore

Rabindranath Tagore

“You smiled and talked to me of nothing and I felt that for this I had been waiting long.”
― Rabindranath Tagore


Rabindranath Tagore


“Those who are near me do not know that you are nearer to me than they are
Those who speak to me do not know that my heart is full with your unspoken words
Those who crowd in my path do not know that I am walking alone with you
Those who love me do not know that their love brings you to my heart”


Rabindranath Tagore


“Patriotism cannot be our final spiritual shelter; my refuge is humanity. I will not buy glass for the price of diamonds, and I will never allow patriotism to triumph over humanity as long as I live. ”


Rabindranath Tagore

“Let my thoughts come to you, when I am gone, like the afterglow of sunset at the margin of starry silence.”
― Rabindranath Tagore


Rabindranath Tagore


“The smile that flickers on a baby’s lips when he sleeps- does anyone know where it was born? Yes, there is a rumor that a young pale beam of a crescent moon touched the edge of a vanishing autumn cloud, and there the smile was first born in the dream of a dew-washed morning.”
― Rabindranath Tagore

Rabindranath Tagore


“The same stream of life that runs through my veins night and day runs through the world and dances in rhythmic measures. It is the same life that shoots in joy through the dust of the earth in numberless blades of grass and breaks into tumultuous waves of leaves and flowers.”
― Rabindranath Tagore

Rabindranath Tagore

“The highest education is that which does not merely give us information but makes our life in harmony with all existence.”
― Rabindranath Tagore

Rabindranath Tagore

“My dearest life, I know you are not mine forever; but do love me even if it’s for this moment. After that I shall vanish into the forest where you cast me, I won’t ask anyone for anything again. Give me something that can last me till I die.”
― Rabindranath Tagore

Rabindranath Tagore

“Once we dreamt that we were strangers. We wake up to find that we were dear to each other.”
― Rabindranath Tagore

Rabindranath Tagore

“God waits to win back his own flowers as gifts from man's hands. ”
― Rabindranath Tagore

Rabindranath Tagore

“Let me light my lamp", says the star, "And never debate if it will help to remove the darkness”
― Rabindranath Tagore

Rabindranath Tagore


“Oh my only friend, my best beloved, the gates are open in my house — do not pass by like a dream.”
― Rabindranath Tagore

Rabindranath Tagore

“Nirvana is not the blowing out of the candle. It is the extinguishing of the flame because the day comes. ”
― Rabindranath Tagore

Rabindranath Tagore

“From my heart comes out and dances the image of my own desire. The gleaming vision flits on. I try to clasp it firmly, it eludes me and leads me astray. I seek what I cannot get, I get what I do not seek.”
― Rabindranath Tagore, The Gardener
Rabindranath Tagore


“Whatever we understand and enjoy in human products instantly becomes ours, wherever they might have their origin... Let me feel with unalloyed gladness that all the great glories of man are mine. ”
― Rabindranath Tagore

Rabindranath Tagore

“The touch of an infinite mystery passes over the trivial and the familiar, making it break out into ineffable music... The trees, the stars, and the blue hills ache with a meaning which can never be uttered in words.”
― Rabindranath Tagore

Rabindranath Tagore

“Let me not look for allies in life's battlefield,But to my own strength.
Let me not crave in anxious fear to be saved,But for the patience to win my freedom.”
― Rabindranath Tagore


Rabindranath Tagore

“Neither the colorless vagueness of cosmopolitanism nor the fierce self-idolatry of nation-worship is the goal of human history.”
― Rabindranath Tagore

Rabindranath Tagore

“Perhaps the new dawn will come from this horizon, from the East where the sun rises; and then, unvanquished Man will retrace his path of conquest, despite all barriers, to win back his lost heritage. ”
― Rabindranath Tagore

Rabindranath Tagore

“Stray birds of the summer come to my window to sing and fly away.
And yellow leaves of autumn, which have no songs, flutter and fall there with a sigh.
O TROUPE of little vagrants of the world, leave your footprints in my words . . . ”
― Tagore Rabindranath



“I have on my table a violin string. It is free to move in any direction I like. If I twist one end, it responds; it is free.
But it is not free to sing. So I take it and fix it into my violin. I bind it and when it is bound, it is free for the first time to sing.”
― Rabindranath Tagore


“If one had to fill in, little by little, the gap between day and night, it would take an eternity to do it. But the sun rises and the darkness is dispelled- a moment is sufficient to overcome an infinite distance.”
― Rabindranath Tagore


“The Taj Mahal rises above the banks of the river like a solitary tear suspended on the cheek of time.”
― Rabindranath Tagore



“The world loved man when he smiled. The world became afraid of him when he laughed.”
― Rabindranath Tagore


“Away from the sight of thy face my heart knows no rest nor respite, and my work becomes an endless toil in a shoreless sea of toil.”
― Rabindranath Tagore, Gitanjali